This episode is another Feast Day, but with Saint Andrews!
He is the Patron Saint of many areas, including among others Barbados, Cyprus, Greece, Italy, Malta, Poland, Portugal, Scotland, Sicily, Russia, Romania, and Ukraine.
Interestingly, he is also the Patron Saint of the U.S. Army Rangers.
Today we talk about the role he had in Scotland, since their national flag, a city, and a cathedral have strong traces of Saint Andrew.
“According to legend, in the middle of the battle, mac Fergus actually saw a white x-shaped cross in the bright blue sky. And, he knew that Andrew was going to be taking care of him…”
Join me in the mysterious beginnings of Saint Andrew, and find out how he ended up being so well loved around the world.
* For references, please click HERE.
- For some more great information and seal examples, visit The National Records of Scotland HERE
- Saint Andrew is a painting by Artus Wolffort (1581-1641).
- Scotland’s flag is from Wikipedia.
- And the drawing of the Cathedral is from the National Library of Scotland
(All photos have been used using the Creative Commons )